Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your summer so far? Why?
(1=eh and 10=best summer ever)


   Probably a 3 or 4. This summer hasn't been awful, but it hasn't been great either. Mostly boring and humid. I'm ready for autumn to come. In the ever classy of Rivers Cuomo, "I just want this summer to end. What's the point of trying to pretend?"


 2. July 26th is National Aunts and Uncles Day. Did you have many aunts and uncles growing up? Were you especially close to any one or maybe all of them? Are you an aunt? (or uncle for the men who join here on Wednesdays) Share a favorite memory relating to one of your own aunts or uncles or relating to a niece or nephew who call you Aunt (or Uncle).


   I don't have a lot of actual aunts and uncles. I only have one biological aunt and one married-in aunt. I have three biological uncles. I have more than enough great aunts and great uncles. One of my grandfathers came from a family of 6 boys, and my mom's mom came from a family of 8 boys and 4 girls. I would try and list them, but I don't think anyone has the time.
  I love all my aunts and uncles, and I see most of them frequently. I am not an aunt, considering I only have one sibling, and he's younger than me.


 3. What's your favorite food dipped in chocolate? What's your favorite food dipped in cheese?


   I can't pick a favorite chocolate-dipped food. Strawberries are definitely high on the list. What's my favorite food dipped in cheese? That's even harder. I love cheese. Does macaroni count? I love mac and cheese.


 4. When were you last astonished by something? Explain.


   I'm astonished by my forgetfulness sometimes. A local road is replacing its drainage ditches, and it has strips of road cut out, which they proceeded to fill with gravel. This doesn't help the road conditions, but I think it helps the state workers sleep better at night.
   Anyway, every time I drive on that road, I forget about those stupid cut outs. It drives me insane. I try to remember, but I think I may just be a lost cause.


 5. Surf board, paddle board, ironing board, Pinterest board, score board, clip board, bulletin board...which board have you most recently encountered?


   I've never surfed (though I would love to try it), I've never paddle boarded (I would like to try that too), I don't remember the last thing I ironed, I hardly ever use Pinterest, I don't play anything that has a score board, I have a clip board; but I never use it and I don't have a bulletin board. The last board I encountered was probably my clip board, when I moved it as I was cleaning out my school shelf for this upcoming school year.


 6. What's your favorite story from scripture? Why that story?


   Probably the story of Samson. Why? He's this incredibly strong dude with long hair, and he makes some mistakes, which cause him to lose his strength. He's captured by the enemy, gets his eyes gouged out (which they casually leave out in the children's versions), and he's defeated. His hair grows out again, and he's given back his strength.
   He's tied between two columns and the Philistines are having this party, celebrating without a care in the world. Samson takes this opportunity to literally bring the house down (or crash the party, either works), even though it means sacrificing himself.
   How awesome is that? It's my favorite story because it's about the evolution of a man, and the things I believe he learned. A story about self sacrifice and obedience. It's a fabulous thing.


 7. If you were to travel from the east coast to the west coast in your own country, which five cities would you most want to see?


   I have no idea. I suck at geography. One state I know I would like to visit would be Arizona. That's on the west coast. I live on the east coast, so I'm sure we'd stop at some cities along the way.


 8. Insert your own random thought here.


   I'll never understand why people say, "At least she died doing what she loved" at a funeral. I don't want to die while I'm doing something I love. I want to die when I'm doing something I hate. Why can't death take me out of my misery, instead of being a buzzkill?
   I want to die while I'm doing my math, or when I'm at a family reunion (people will always remember me at family reunions, to say the least). Perhaps while I'm on a run? I don't want to die eating a brownie, or petting my cat. I don't want to die even at a birthday party for someone I can't stand.
   Maybe I will die doing something I love. I can't really choose. And maybe if I die at a birthday party, they can have the cake in my honor. :) All joking aside, my death is (probably) a long way off. I can worry about this in fifty-ish years. But what can I really do even then? Stop doing things I like, because I'm worried I'll die? That sounds more like an argument for why you shouldn't go skydiving.
   I'll end this with the inspiring cliché of 'live life to the fullest' or something like that. Honestly, I don't really know where I'm going with this, so let's stop here. Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I love reading them!