Sunday, July 17, 2016

Don't Put Mayo On a Chicken Salad Sandwich

   My last Wednesday Hodgepodge, one of the questions was to sum up a life lesson you've learned in one sentence. I put mine as 'Don't put mayo on a chicken salad sandwich.' You can read the full post here, if your curious. I received two comments asking me about my life lesson. So I'll tell you the story.
   A many years ago, I was having a sleepover with my best friend. I'll call her Sunshine. She was hosting, so I went over to her house. I believe she picked me up at violin lessons, since our lessons were back-to-back. Sunshine and I, along with her mom and sisters were in the car, on our way to her house from violin lessons and stopped at a deli-ish place for lunch. We got chocolate pudding that was crazy good and we also ordered sandwiches.
   In order to order a sandwich, you had a slip of paper that you check off what you wanted. I think the first thing you checked off was what kind of bread you wanted. I picked white bread, I'm pretty sure. I don't know why I would have picked anything else. I didn't like wheat bread at the time, though I do now.
   The next thing was condiments, I believe. I choose mayo. Then you chose toppings. I forget what I picked, because I don't really remember the options. Sunshine had already finished filling out hers and glanced over at mine. She said something and I answered her. We fell into a small conversation when one of her little sisters finished hers and put it up on the counter.
   Snapped back to my order, I glanced down at the final category and glanced over the options. I wasn't the biggest fan of lunch meat, so when I saw chicken salad, I quickly picked that and laid my paper slip next to everyone else's. Then we went to pick out our puddings.
   Back in the car, armed with our sandwiches and pudding, we ate. I opened my sandwich and took a bite. It was good. The more I ate into the sandwich, the runnier and sloppier it got. How much mayonnaise did they put into this chicken salad? It was still good, regardless of amount of mayonnaise. It didn't hit me until later, what I had done.
   Was the sandwich good? Yes. Was the amount of mayonnaise insane? Yes. Was it their fault? No. Whose fault was it? Mine. Did the sandwich people question why someone would put mayo on a chicken salad sandwich? Probably. I mean, I would. I made a bad choice, but I learned from it. I hope you learned from my experience as well. Save yourself from having to drink your chicken salad, and don't put mayo on a chicken salad sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I love reading them!