Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Hair Dye

   Last fall, I decided I wanted to dye my hair. A few weeks ago, I actually dyed it. My mom orders from a natural foods co-op. They sold natural henna hair dye. We ordered it for under $2.00! It arrived and I couldn't wait to do it. We decided on auburn for the color, considering that my hair is medium brown and I didn't want to do anything crazy with it, in case it turned out horrible.
   Inside the box was a bag of green powder and instructions. In the instructions, there was a hair cap and plastic gloves. After reading the instructions, I decided that I wasn't going to waste hours of my life doing a strand test and a sensitivity test. It was already around 4 in the evening and I wanted to get it done that day. So I forged ahead.
   My mom and I started to make the stuff. We added boiling water to a green powder then mixed it up. The smell was the worst part. It was a mix of tea and cow pie. We added some paprika to enhance the red tones. It was supposed to cure for 3 hours, but we only let it cure for about 2 and a half. After that, we had to coat my hair in it.
   My hair is about shoulders length so it didn't take too long. The consistency of the mix was thick, like thick, heavy mud with a bit of grit in it. After mom worked it through my hair, we put the plastic cap on my head and watched Captain America. I had to sporadically apply heat to it, so I used a heating pad to do that.
   I was supposed to leave it on for 4 hours, and that's what I did. After we watched Captain America, we put on the Avenger's, since I still had time left. When my time was up, I went up to the shower and washed it out. It was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be. While my hair was drying, we finished the Avenger's and I looked in the mirror and saw my new auburn hair.
   It looked pretty natural, and for that I was thankful. It said on the box that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of regret. I am not a patient person, and instead of taking extra time to prevent problems, I'm more the type to jump into anything headfirst, without checking the depth of the water. I got lucky and it turned out well. It took 6 and a half hours, but it's been several weeks and the color has remained nicely. It's supposed to last about six weeks, so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I love reading them!