Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun? 
 
   The festivals, for one. Where we live, we have several different festivals and jubilees and such. They're always fun. Our homeschool group starts backs in September too, so those are some fun September activities we have planned.

2. You might be described as a natural born _____________________?
 
   Leader. I am a take charge kind of person. I love to lead, and it comes naturally.

3. September is National Courtesy Month...what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 
 
   Holding the doors open for people. It's a simple thing to do that people in the cities can't seem to figure out. On a related note, September is National Courtesy Month? Seriously? We have a month chosen to represent courtesy?
I have no idea why it bothers me so. I have to say that these 'national day' things are getting out of hand.  

4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 

   Clam up, unfortunately. I'm not scared to get up on stage and sing, act, perform, etc., but this time it wasn't so . We were at the nursing home where we go to volunteer, and I was playing my guitar and singing. I started on You Are My Sunshine, a song that I'd practiced everyday, multiple times. I got through the chorus, and BAM! I couldn't remember any of the lines. My mother started singing the words and it came back to me, but wow. That wasn't very fun.

5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?

   I don't have a movie theatre snack protocol. I've only been to a real theatre once, when I was seven, and we saw Charlotte's Web. I don't remember a lot of it, but it was probably pretty good. I've been to a drive-in theatre several times. The last movie I saw was Inside Out, and it was pretty good. 4 thumbs up.

6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?

   I don't agree or disagree fully on that. Being lazy doesn't mean you can't think, but being active and doing things definitely helps keep your mind sharp.

 
7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?
 
   Collecting Monarch caterpillars. That was tiring. It was also hot and humid.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

   So now for the story of the monarch caterpillars. (I mentioned it here yesterday.) Some of our fields were to be limed. We didn't know when, but when my mom and brother discovered how many caterpillars were in the fields, we decided to go rescue them. We called some of my brothers friends and asked if they would like to come back and collect Monarch caterpillars. They did. While we waited for them to arrive, I had a snack. They arrived and we went up into the first field. I didn't see many at first, but by the end I was spotting them left and right.
   We collected and collected, field through field, until we had gotten a ton of them. We came back and counted them. 265 caterpillars and one chrysalis. My brother's friends took a little over 20 and took a few for a friends of theirs. Mom sent an email out to some of her friends regarding the caterpillars. A couple people responded, they would like a few. A few, meaning not enough to really ease our load. 
   One of my mom's friend's has a daughter that works at a discovery center, where they have animals and stuff like that. They said if we had more than we could handle, we could give them to the discovery center and they would raise them and tag them. They are coming to pick up 200 later today. I wanted to post pictures, but they are on my mom's phone and I can't get them off right now. I apologize.

Until next time!

 

1 comment:

  1. 265 caterpillars?!! That's a lot. That was a great idea rescuing them before the fields get limed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I love reading them!